domingo, 25 de septiembre de 2011

Who said older sisters are always right?

EXTRA CREDIT:
       It was ten years ago, when my sister and me were riding the bus to our school. We were on the front rows of the bus, looking at the grey sky, listening to the rain and lightning-bolts, and having a very mature conversation. We were talking about chocolate. I was six years, and my sister had approximately eight. We were discussing how delicious it would be to have at least one little piece of chocolate for each one of us. We were there, in the bus, sitting with our lunch boxes in our legs, looking at the window, and having a very huge appetitive for chocolate.
   Ever since I was a little girl, I always had admiration for my oldest sister. I always copied what she does, or at least I tried. The cloth she put on one week, I put it the next week. I think every kid who has an oldest brother or sister can understand my feelings toward her. I believed everything she used to tell me. I even listened to the music she liked, and her favourite TV shows, were my favourite to.
    Back to the bus ride, we were still talking about chocolate. We began to discuss how chocolate was created. She looked down the window and pointed a pool of soil, created by all the rain. She told me “Gaby, can you see that pool of soil over there? Well that’s how chocolate is created”. I was so impressed about how ignorant I had been my past 6 years of life. I had chocolate everywhere! Believe it or not, I really though this discovery was one of the greatest of all.
       She began to explain to me how when the rain and the soil mixed in the ground, chocolate was created. It depended on how sweet you wanted the chocolate to be, the amount of sugar you were going to add it. It all sounded very logical. I even thought of how selfish chocolate sellers were by not revealing their delicious secret to anyone. Anyway, we continue discussing my sister’s huge secret about chocolate. We were just arriving at school, when she told me not to tell anyone THE SECRET about chocolate. If I did, everybody will eat the soil and water mixture, and chocolate will somehow ran out.  I spend my whole day thinking how powerful I was to discover the mystery of chocolate.
     Finally, I arrived home, but there was no rain. I waited a whole week for the rain to come down the sky, so that I could make my delicious and mysterious chocolate bar. Until finally one day, just arriving from school, it started raining. I went secretly to the back yard of my house, with a cup of sugar in my hand. I looked for the most abundant pond of soil and rain mixture. When I found THE POND, I started spreading sugar on top of it. There was a problem, because I forgot my spoon. I didn’t have any time to get back and grab a spoon. What if my sister was secretly watching me and ate my chocolate?
        I was there, sitting at the wet grass, on my knees, and with my both hands I grabbed a pile of my personalise chocolate. It sounded glorious. The type of glory, when a light comes randomly from the sky illuminating everything, and the song Alleluia starts sounding. I thought how stupid people were all this time while I was approaching the pile of sand in my mouth.  Yes, I did it…
      I ate a whole pile of sand, with sugar on it. It tasted nothing like chocolate for my surprise. I began crying and went running back to my house, with my hands and mouth full of dirty soil. I went with my mom, and I explained to her my misfortunate event. She laughed, and told me that my sister was lying to me. Turns out chocolate cannot come out from soil and rain mixture. I can only say this was a lesson for me. Ever since that day, I no longer believe anything my sister tells me. For my disappointment, she is not always right.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario