domingo, 25 de septiembre de 2011

Not going to be defeated

EXTRA CREDIT:

    The worst feeling of all is to feel defeated. A defeated person is the one that doesn’t know the word “success”. In order to be a successful person, you have to know its meaning. Success means going beyond. Looking far away from where you are. Being successful means to have dreams and aspirations.  Making everything possible in order to make your dreams come true. I have a dream. I want to me a doctor when I’m older.
     I spent all this past months making research of the best medical schools in the world. I even watched a movie called Gifted Hands. This movie talks about Dr. Carson’s life, and how he succeeded from being a black boy with no money, to the best neurosurgeon in the whole entire world. He is a real inspiration. In the movie, you can see how his mother used to tell him that he can do anything everybody else does, only that he can do it better. What really defined my career as paediatrician was a medical trip I had with organization called Helps International.
     Turns out medical careers are really expensive. You need to have either a scholarship in a good university, or have a lot of money in order to pay all the expenses a medical career can bring. I always thought my parents would support me in anything I wanted to become. Just like in the movie. I always pictured my dad and my mom telling me that I can be anything I wanted to become, as long as I make an effort in it. Turns out it has been nothing like that. I don’t have the support of none of my both parents, and even one of them believes I can be successful as a doctor. After various fights with my mom, she told me that she doesn’t have the money to get me into the UFM, the greatest university of medicine in Guatemala, and that she was not going to let me enter the public university, which is good to, because it is to dangerous for me to enter a public faculty.
     I know my parents, and I can see that they both think I am not going to succeed. I know them both well enough to know, that for the first time, they think I am going to fail in my medical career. What they don’t know is how bad I want to become a doctor, and how I can achieve to get a scholarship in the university they cant afford. Not to be vane, but I make no effort at all in the school I am, and I still have annual average of ninety percent. I love science, chemistry, math, biology, and I can’t see a reason why I cannot make it. Maybe it is because I am a woman, or because they simply believe that I am going to fail.
       I am not defeated yet. I will get in the university I want, and I am going to be successful. I may not have the money to pay all the expenses, but I will find a way. When you want something so badly, specially when we talk about our OWN future, we can make huge things happen. I am young, and I have enormous dreams and aspirations for my future. If I want to be a doctor, I will be one. The only thing between success and failure is myself. Maybe they are testing me to see if I really want to study medicine. If being a doctor is my dream. I will put my heart and soul in order to succeed.
    I’m not saying I don’t need my parents support, because of everything, it is one of the things I need the most. But I discovered that the sixteen years I have lived with them, they don’t know me completely. I have a dream, like every single teenager has. I don’t have my parents support, but I have the determination and the strength to get through all the obstacles. If I say I want to be a doctor, is because I will. I know the sacrifices being a doctor brings. I know I have a long journey yet, but am not ready to give up.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario