lunes, 12 de septiembre de 2011

The Most Important Person.


       Everyone admires or are suppose to admire a person that posses many principles and values, but what if the person I value the most doesn’t posses any principles or values, or even any humbleness at all? What if the person that is one of the most important influences in my life doesn’t fit with the pattern of an admirable person? They say that smart people learn from their own mistakes, but the smartest, learn from other people mistakes.
      You have this beautiful good-looking girl, with long blond hair, burnet skin, short, brown eyes, skinny, who has the best cloth, the biggest house, and that has everything she wants and more. That type of girl every guy wants to hang out with, the one that all high school girls want to be best friends with. She is supposed to have everything. Doesn’t she? She turns out to be my best friend. She lives in Panama City, and seems like she has all the money in the world. It is funny, because I wonder how a girl like me, middle-class, not complicated when it comes to fashion or anything at all, ends up being best friends with someone as glamorous as she is. When I lived in Panama I used to hang out with her every single day, in school and after school.
        She took me to parties, she lend me all the dresses that after the first use, she didn’t wanted to use anymore, she invited me to every restaurant or movie we went to see, and she sometimes even bought me cloth. It sounds amazing how can a 15-year all girl seems to have everything in the palm of her hand. She was outgoing, funny, and she got along with every single person she met. I wanted to be like her. Who wouldn’t wanted to be like that anyway?
      It is not because of that the reason why she made an influence in my life. It is because after discovering the real life of the girls that seem to have everything and more, I started valuing my simple and not complicated life. She did had all the material stuff she wanted and didn’t need, but after getting so close to her, and her family, I could see how material things, money, fashion, and being popular, really makes your life much more complicated than what it is supposed to be like. She had a materialistic and vanity perspective of her life, and everyone’s life.  Her family became so distant; they fought for ridiculous, not important things. Her arguments where about money, or that she didn’t had any dress to wear, when she had an entire closet, exclusive for dresses.
       How can a girl like that be one of the most important person in your life? The truth is, that all her life, in all different aspects, made me realize how lucky I was.   She taught me that the simpler you were, the fewer problems you’ll have. She always said to me how lucky I was to have the life I had, and she was true. She made me treasure my family, the most important thing in life. Family is the gift God gave to you, the most valuable of all things a person should have. Maybe I don’t posses the biggest house, or the best cloth, or even the perfect personality, but thanks to her I realized, I don’t need any of that in my life to be happy.
      Truth is, human beings will always want more than what they can have in their lives. Nothing seems ever to be good enough for us. Until suddenly, we have to learn that emotions, feelings, love, and family are the things that should be in our concerned. Maybe she is the type of person you superficially want to be like. Maybe, if you get to deeply know her life, you will start valuing yours as well. She is my best friend, maybe she doesn’t posses any values or principles an admirable person should posses, but she will always be the person who taught me the most important lesson in my life. Not only lesson, but a way of living, simple and free.

Humility does not mean thinking less of yourself than of other people, nor does it mean having a low opinion of your own gifts.  It means freedom from thinking about yourself at all.  ~William Temple

1 comentario:

  1. She taught me that the simpler you were, the fewer problems you’ll have. i loved your post banquito <3 I really did, don't ever change your way of thinking about life :) iloveyou!

    ResponderEliminar